Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Jules Feiffer Story


In 2006, I had a few paintings in a group show at the Sherry French Gallery in New York City. One of the people who came to  the opening  was Jules Feiffer the legendary cartoonist for The Village Voice.  I had never met him, but managed to become part of a conversational circle at one point which included Jules and  seven or eight other men and women including artists, Nancy Bea Miller, Eliza Auth and Tony Auth, the political cartoonist of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Someone asked one of the women I did not know, "what do you do?"

She answered, "I work at the United Nations Office of War Crimes."

Without a pause, Jules cocked his head slightly and mischievously  asked  "for... or against?!"

What I was struck by, was how his persona in "real life" was the same as his art: ironic, satiric and funny with a cutting edge.  I was very glad to have gotten this chance to meet him, and must thank Eliza and Tony for introducing me. His drawings as well as his wonderful  children's books, and other writings can be found at his web site:


_______________________________________
also in this story:



No comments:

Post a Comment